Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tear Ducts-2, Mama-0

5 weeks ago, I stood on the side of the pool watching MB's first swim lesson and cried. I cried because she couldn't swim, but then, I hadn't really expected her to. I mostly cried because she was crying. And because that's what I do: I cry a lot.
Today, I stood on the side of the pool and cried again. This time because she can do it! She can swim. And because she didn't cry. Instead she said Fumbs up, Mama, because Miss Joy can't seem to get her to actually put up her thumbs.

So I cry if she doesn't swim. I cry if she does swim. I cry if she cries. I cry if she doesn't cry.
I just can't win.
But if we're being honest [I try to be honest], I surrendered a long long time ago.

4 comments:

  1. Ok, I don't know who the other Jennifer is above, but I swear that is EXACTLY what I was going to say and I actually am crying now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, now I'M confused. Can we make a Jen rule that involves a last name initial? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love swimming kiddos:) I cried this year at the pool when Liam refused to wear his swim belt and just started swimming all on his own, diving for pool rings. Great job, MB! And great job Mama!!

    ReplyDelete