Monday, November 14, 2011

A Bo by any other name

Lee and I were chatting in the car the other day about how it is that we came to be the parents of children we call Buck and Bo.

We consider ourselves educated people, for the most part.  We gave them perfectly good names when they were born. Names that mean the world to us. Names that we had picked out for them long before we were even married.

But for day-to-day use, it's come down to Buck [two-year-old Mary Bullock's attempt at Bullock] and Bo [Mary Bullock's shortening of Bro], or some variation of these.

So in the car Lee says to me, already laughing: their nicknames have nicknames. Which was almost the title of this post, because I literally [LITRALLY!] snarfed in the face of such truth.

So, I thought it might be helpful to you to have an abbreviated [for space purposes] list of each of their nicknames, just so you can sample our particular brand of crazy. Maybe you named your child Alexander and actually call him Alexander and you can lay your head down tonight and congratulate yourself on not endangering your child's future employability by calling him a ridiculous name that will not show up on his birth certificate.















































We really do call Mary Bullock Mary Bullock if we're not using a nickname [like when she's making us late, or when she's in trouble], but we never call Bo Lee. I'm envisioning his first day of kindergarten when he adamantly maintains that his full name is Bocephus Wedekind. 

It might be a problem.

Do you think they call the school counselor over things like this?


*Also, I'm sure Lee would like it pointed out that the Bolene referenced above is the RAY LAMONTAGNE version, NOT the LORETTA LYNN version.

3 comments:

  1. Suz,

    It's been a long time, but I just wanted to say I love - LOVE - your blog. It's been coming up on my Facebook newsfeed and distracting me from my studies on a regular basis lately, so I just thought I say 1) your kids are simply adorable and 2) you should consider writing a book. I, for one, would read it.

    Hope all's well!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie! You're so sweet! Thank you! Sorry for the distraction ;). Hope law school is going well otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buggy Mac and Boneequa are my favorites for sure... this might have gotten a big belly laugh out of me...like the ones when i was prego and could have been mistaken for jolly old st. nick:)

    ReplyDelete