Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Birthday Cookies

I know you'll probably be shocked by this, since my planning for last year involved six million different blog posts, but Mary Bullock's 2nd birthday is...next Friday.

We've been so busy painting furniture and planning her big girl room that everything else has taken a back seat. I knew in the back of my head that I would make sugar cookies for her class at school, but that's about as far as my planning had gone. Her teachers sent home a sheet at the beginning of the year specifically requesting cookies for in-class birthday celebrations.  I used to be a teacher, and I feel that if a teacher makes a request for a specific item, she probably has a thousand pretty darned good reasons for it.

In other words, I'm not going to be the mama who shows up with cupcakes. And I hope they appreciate my rule following, because as I discovered last year, SUGAR COOKIES ARE HARD.

So today I practiced. And now, with one thousand calories' worth of quality control around my middle, I'm considering outsourcing this particular job.































All from Sugar & Flour, which I will now proceed to online stalk daily. You know, just to have an ideal with which to irrationally compare myself.  Because who doesn't need another one of those?

My efforts were decidedly less cute than this.  Lee would argue that my efforts also did not cost $3.00 a cookie.

But should we really put a price tag on cute birthday cookies for our baby girl who will be eighteen before we blink twice? Really?

8 comments:

  1. Love the cookies. Want to see the big girl room. K thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so if those cookies cost 3 bucks a pop, and you can get a case of busch light (that's twenty four cookies, for those keeping score at home) for $9.99, why not apply some down home economics and save yourselves a few bones?

    suck on that, dave ramsey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that all makes perfect sense except I can't drink the beer ANYWAY, so I why would I want to make ugly cookies and still not have the Busch Light?

    Sorry if that blows your mind, Kirby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, Kirbside. I'm sure those 2 year olds in MB's class would much rather get hammered drunk than eat delicious sugar cookies.

    Woooooo, who wantsh schome Krystalsssssssss?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new cooks illustrated has a recipe for sugar cookies that is awesome!! they actually taste good...one's above will taste like cardboard. you can put sprinkles on these and call it a day. let me know if you want me to scan the recipe. sorry for the olde greene cupboard wild goose chase!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Laura- my problem with the sugar cookies is less the taste than the aesthetics. Is that terribly, terribly vain?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate sugar cookies that taste like cardboard. And honestly, the kids will not appreciate the aesthetics, Suz. I've definitely had some that were both cute and delish though. I just don't know the secret. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have my mom's awesome recipe where the cookies taste awesome, but the frosting, which is my favorite, is just that milk and confectioner's sugar. So it might be a trade off.

    ReplyDelete