Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Euphemism of the day: "De-veining"

So, did I tell you that I peeled and de-veined shrimp the other night? First timer here. Normally that is a job that I would delegate to Lee, but I'm on a new life plan (remember the ironing?), and it involves doing things I don't really want to do, and that I probably won't do perfectly, but that I really just need to do anyway.

Enter shrimp.



















Now, one of the worst parts of this job is the de-veining.  Because you and I both know, that is not a vein.  But I sucked it up and did it, even as sloppily as it probably was.  I didn't even crack the wine until after.
















 


And so I give you: 

Pasta with Shrimp, Lemon and Tomatoes
8oz. pasta (linguine, spaghetti, or fettucini) 
3tbsp. olive oil
3tbsp. butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. medium shrimp, uncooked
1/2c. clam juice
1/3c. oil packed sundried tomatoes, diced (I didn't dice)
1/4c. fresh parsley (minced)
zest of 1 lemon (I'm terrible at zesting, but it didn't really matter)
salt and fresh ground pepper 

Cook pasta according to package directions. Toss with 1 tbsp. olive oil. Melt butter and remaining oil. Saute garlic until tender over medium heat. Increase heat and saute shrimp until pink, about 2 minutes. Add clam juice and pasta to pan. Cook over medium high heat, 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, parsley, and lemon zest; season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.



1 comment: