Wednesday, February 17, 2010

It's Ironing Day

Er...make that, ironing night. Which is way better, because I can have wine. I try not to drink wine in the morning when it's avoidable.
 
Ironing and I have not previously had a pleasant relationship. In high school, my winning smile and generous mother took care of it for me. In college, I accidentally burned a hole in the rug in my dorm room ironing a pair of pants. Yes, I did. 

But the best story of Ironing and Me is the time when, on the night before my interview for my last teaching job, I burned a hole in my dress. Yes. I did that, too. Now, under normal circumstances, one would just consult the closet for another dress. However, I was still in grad school in Charlottesville and had flown down specifically for the interview, so my other options included my pajamas and my pajamas

Luckily, I was staying with Lee's parents,  so at 10 o'clock that night, I knocked on his mom's bedroom door crying and asked to borrow a cardigan. Oh, the shame. We'd been dating for maybe a year at that point, and I'd visited only once or twice before. It was awful, obviously. But the cardigan did miraculously cover the hole, and I did get the job, despite my best efforts otherwise. 

Anyway, after that I think I would have been well within my rights to never iron again. And trust me, I haven't done much. My sweet mama even ironed Lee's pants last time we were there. 

But I'm on a new life plan. One that includes, among other things, a weekly ironing day.  I think it will be good for me: making peace with ironing. If I can make peace with ironing, I can make peace with anything.

Right?


2 comments:

  1. Ironing is my least favorite chore of all time. But, oddly enough, the regular laundry is my favorite chore. I force myself to have an ironing day once a week or else it would just pile up and never get done. Maybe I should try the wine + ironing sometime. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have recently decided to make a point to iron once a week! I H-A-T-E it. So much so that I never wear anything in my closet that requires ironing anymore. Josh "doesn't know how to iron" so my hiatus from it has made him look like a rumpled mess. But I like how you have turned a hateful thing into a "birthday thing". Wine helps, a lot. I also prop my laptop in front of me on the washer and turn on Modern Family, Community, or Office episodes to liven the experience.

    ReplyDelete