Tuesday, December 1, 2009

For your Christmas list

I have linked to Readeez before, but I haven't really spent time explaining how awesome they are. [Which is to say, REALLY AWESOME.]

Meet Michael and Isabel, the main characters. They are a singing, dancing, playing duo that bring us the songs and synchronized words that make up a Reedee. If you can't imagine what I mean by that, check out the creator's blog and see for yourself. I recommend starting with "Love's Enough" [posted 6/24/09] but really any of them will do.

There's so much to love about these little videos. I'm not telling you that my one year old is learning to read from them [that's just silly], but she loves the music and the pictures enough to sit quietly on my lap for a whole five minutes or so, and that's like crack to me. She laughs and claps, and I steal all my snuggles, then I end up singing You Look Like a KID! in the MOOD for FOOD! for the rest of the day.


One of the things I love most about Readeez is that they are mildly cheesy. I think imagining all the years when Mary Bullock will think that I am hopelessly uncool makes me cling to these kind of dorky things that we can both enjoy now. Things that have nothing to do with texting, Wii, or Bratz. You know? Simple things.

I also love that in some of the simplest songs, you get the stinky suspicion that he's talking about something more than what's on the surface. Take Digging the Weeds, for example.










Digging the weeds/
because it is what the garden needs/
Planting the seeds/
dirt on our knees and elbows/
Everybody knows/
that's how it grows.


Digging the weeds/
sweeping away the fallen leaves/
Loving the breeze/
trusting that we can always/
help our garden grow/
Taking it slow/
that's how we grow. 

See? See how he does that? Genius, really.


Bonus: http://vimeo.com/4448466



No comments:

Post a Comment