Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Birthday Things, Literally















There are so many Birthday Things to talk about in this post that I think my fingers might fall off before I finish typing.

First, check my apron above. This was actually a birthday present from Kate, who has abandoned me for France this year. I miss her, but as I told her, toile aprons from Provence will shut me up for a while at least. There is something about an apron that makes cooking and doing dishes a little easier, isn't there? I'm sure I'm not the only stay at home mommy who doesn't exactly relish the bonus job of stay at home housekeeper--at least, I hope I'm not the only one. So when I have cute things to lessen the sting of spending a day cleaning up disgusting messes (see green bean throw up from yesterday), they definitely count as Birthday Things.

Secondly, see the half of the coffee cake? This is also a Birthday Thing, in more than one sense. Because it's amazing, for one. I can't share the recipe, as this was a super secret recipe from (same) Kate, but trust me on this one. This was not my best showing on this particular cake, due to some inaccuracies in my egg cracking, but it still turned out so well that I ate it for dessert last night...and breakfast this morning. What? It's coffee cake. Don't judge.

It's also a Birthday Thing because I ate this coffee cake for breakfast for a good two weeks after Mary Bullock was born. Kate brought this, a delicious dinner, and a blessed bottle of wine for us. I'm not sure, but I think I may have kissed her.

Anyway--I think that's how I will always remember this coffee cake, as one of the few things that brought me comfort when I was an exhausted and scared brand new mommy.

So, yeah. Toile and coffee cake. And Kate!

5 comments:

  1. I'm honored in so many ways (and also relieved that you didn't share the cake receipe b/c I don't want to have to send my evil henchmen to take care of you).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not fair! I have been sharing recipes with you! Granted, mine are mostly from Southern Living...

    Love the apron!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel,

    Maybe I can get a special dispensation from Kate to share the recipe. If it were my own personal recipe, I would definitely share it, but I can't go blabbing other people's secrets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about your twin sister? Would you give your twin sister the recipe? Especially since I live in Virigina and there's no chance that we would like, show up at the same soiree with said coffee cake in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree to sharing the recipe with you two, since you both live so far away. But, if we ever all end up at the same party, NO ONE BRING THE CAKE! I only exercise such caution b/c the girl who gave me the recipe did so under pain of death...from her mother!!!!

    ReplyDelete