Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife



I went to see The Time Traveler's Wife today by myself, which is probably better, because I definitely cried. Not the all out bawling that I did when I read the book (both times I read the book, actually), but enough tears to be embarrassed about in front of other moviegoers. Good thing I had a wad of napkins leftover from my (buttered! yeah!) popcorn.

So--my review, in a nutshell, no spoilers: If you have read the book and loved it, or even if you were lukewarm towards it (cough cough, KATE!) you will probably enjoy the movie. It really was quite nice. Rachel McAdams thankfully did not have to put on a southern accent, and her performance was lovely. I was worried that she would do to this movie what Anne Hathaway did to The Devil Wears Prada. But she didn't! Whew.

If you have not read the book, we are probably not friends.

Just kidding!
[Sort of.]

If you haven't read the book, or if in general you have a problem willfully suspending your disbelief (I mean, hello? the title involves TIME TRAVEL), you should probably skip it. The movie pretty much assumes that you understand and accept the premise from the outset, and it does nothing to attempt to convince you of the feasibility of the plot. And the grousing that you're likely to do afterward will ruin it for me. So just go see The Hangover again or something and don't burst my bubble! Perhaps there is another movie out that you would enjoy more.

6 comments:

  1. I thought we could do a book club field trip! I guess Davis and I will have to go see it on a lunch date.

    I was wondering if the scenes when he is old and she is young would be weirder in movie form than in the book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll see it again if we can work it out for all of us to go! I was just excited and had a chance to do it yesterday, so I did.

    To answer your question, they cut a lot of the scenes from when he was older and she was younger, and the scenes they did use were very sweet.

    Usually I'm a little disappointed when major story lines get cut from movies, but in this case the parts they cut made complete sense.

    Not sure Davis would be a fan of this one, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny-- I just mailed you a letter on Friday involving this very subject. The movie's not out here and might not arrive- I don't think the book was translated-- so we'll have to rent it and a have a movie night when I get back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to see it but I also really want to read the book first - which don't shoot me - I haven't. It's sitting in my house just WAITING to be read. I got a bit Vampire distracted!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caro,

    I feel like I don't even know you anymore.

    Read the book and we can be friends again. Would it help if I said it was a little LIKE Twilight? It's a love story in which the man keeps leaving and coming back?

    Sadly, Henry does not glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read a review about this movie in which the review writer admitted in the first sentence they had not read the book. WHY WOULD YOU SEE THE MOVIE THEN. Predictably, the reviewer said the movie sucked. In my opinion, the reviewer sucked. Not that I have seen teh movie. But I want to.

    ReplyDelete