Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Family Rules

Remember my New Year's Resolutions? One of them was to read a little every day. MAJOR FAIL. I've done just about everything else, I swear. But I have a lot of trouble picking up an actual book and reading during the day. Blogs? Check. Magazines? Check. Carolyn Hax? Check.

One of the problems is that I learn so much from reading blogs, and I don't even have to drag MB to the bookstore to find new material. Case in point: A few weeks ago, Hillary started a blog carnival on Fridays. A few hours and approximately three clicks later, I was contemplating the idea of Family Rules via Building Our Nest.

Someone posted these family rules in her comments section [I have no idea who Gregg Harris is. But if this is yours, THANKS!]:

The 21 Rules of this House
by Gregg Harris

1. We obey God.
2. We love, honor, and pray for one another.
3. We tell the truth.
4. We consider one another's interests ahead of our own.
5. We speak quietly and respectfully with one another.
6. We do not hurt one another with unkind words or deeds.
7. When someone needs correction, we correct him in love.
8. When someone is sorry, we forgive him.
9. When someone is sad, we comfort him.
10. When someone is happy, we rejoice with him.
11. When we have something nice to share, we share it.
12. When we have work to do, we do it without complaining.
13. We take good care of everything that God has given us.
14. We do not create unnecessary work for others.
15. When we open something, we close it.
16. When we take something out, we put it away.
17. When we turn something on, we turn it off.
18. When we make a mess, we clean it up.
19. When we do not know what to do, we ask.
20. When we go out, we act just as if we were in this house.
21. When we disobey or forget any of the 21 Rules of This House, we accept the discipline and instruction of The Lord. 

I like these. Pretty simple, I think. MB is a little too young for rules [except NO PLAYING IN THE DOG'S WATER BOWL, which she routinely ignores] but I can think of at least two people who sometimes act like big babies who could benefit from rules such as these. 

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. oh goodness, i don't do well with rules, even though these seem to completely make sense. if i ever come over, hide your water bowl...

    kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like those rules. I think I'll copy them and save, for ONE DAY, I am sure we will need them (not just for me and Jon, but MATTIE too)

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1- that makes me uber happy that you found this via the blog carnival! That's the whole point! HOORAY!!!
    #2- LOVE these rules and I need to put something up at our house with these one them. Or tattoo them on my children- you know- whatever gets the point across.

    ReplyDelete