Thursday, April 1, 2010

Penguin Eyes

Since MB was born, I have often wished that my eyes were cameras. I have taken loads of pictures, [as you may have noticed] but of course some of the best moments are when the cameras are far out of reach, and those moments can never be re-created.

I try to think to myself: Remember this. Remember this. And I wish I were Cam Jansen with her photographic memory. [Did anyone else read those books?] Anyway, sometimes I can remember having said that to myself about a certain moment, but the exact look or feeling gets muddled with thousands of other memories and eventually fades away. 

Today brought another such instance, when my camera was buried in my purse in the kitchen, and MB and I snuggled and played Penguin Eyes before naptime. And bringing a camera into things would have ruined it anyway, I suppose.

For those of you who do not know [which is all of you who are not my sister or my husband], Penguin Eyes is a game that Jen and I used to play when we were little. It goes like this: You smush your nose into the other person's nose until your eyelids are pretty much touching. Then you say, PENGUIN EYES!!! And if you're doing it right, it comes out funny because your nose is smushed.

I made this up, if you're wondering. [Although Jen will probably say that she made it up, because she never remembers things exactly the way they happened, and she's always stealing the credit for the cool games I made up.]

Anyway, Jen lives far away, and Lee doesn't love this game as much, although he is very sweet to humor me sometimes and let me play.

Mary Bullock, though, she gets it. Plus, she can already say eyes. Now I just have to work on Penguin.

I hope I remember this one.


2 comments: