Monday, September 14, 2009

This is Gossie.



Do you know Gossie? A friend of Lee's parents gave this book to us after Mary Bullock was born, and I'm sure she doesn't even realize what she gave us. I am so appreciative of all of the gifts that were sent for Mary Bullock, but this is one I really can't imagine our lives without. We have read this book several times a day for months, and it never gets old.

If you don't know Gossie, I'll summarize. Gossie is a gosling who loves to wear bright red boots--everywhere she goes. One day, she can't find them. She looks everywhere, but they're gone. Then, she sees them:




It sort of reminds me of mornings when we were younger, trying to get dressed in three minutes because we were already late for school, searching frantically for the one shirt that I wanted to wear, only to find Jen already wearing it. But Gossie handles this situation much more gracefully than I used to. [I think I actually slapped Jen once in a battle over some wonder woman underoos. I was fierce over some underoos.]

Anyway, when Lee realized that I could recite Gossie by heart, I came home one day to a box from amazon on the front porch. Guess who it was!



Gossie, it turns out, has a posse.

Gossie still holds a special place in our hearts, but it's nice to read about her friends, too. Ollie, for example, is not yet a gosling. He refuses to come out! Gossie and Gertie beg him to come out, but nooooooo. Finally, Gossie and Gertie tell Ollie NOT to come out. Can you guess what he does?

Nice, right? A tiny, illustrated tutorial in reverse psychology. Mary Bullock is going to be so advanced.

4 comments:

  1. I love this. I love kid books. Can you summarize more for those of us sans enfants (although I fear I might be the only loyal Birthday Things reader in that boat!)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, Suz, SO cute! Great post. Will have to look for those books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the names...BooBoo, Peedie- so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of baby books, we have this book called Duck Ellington Swings through the Zoo from the Baby Loves Jazz collection and we (er..I) love it! I think I'm going to order a few more> http://www.amazon.com/Miles-Crocodile-Plays-Colors-Jazz/dp/0843120843/ref=pd_sim_b_1

    ReplyDelete